What is losartan potassium?
Chemical Name: LOSARTAN (loe-SAR-tan)
COZAAR is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and it also lowers the risk of stroke in certain people with heart disease. It keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow. COZAAR is used to slow long-term kidney damage in people with type 2 diabetes who also have high blood pressure.
Before using COZAAR, patients should be aware of the following:
- Patients should not use COZAAR if they are pregnant as it can harm an unborn baby.
- You should not use COZAAR if you are allergic to losartan or any other chemicals contained in this medication.
- Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
- Keep using COZAAR even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.
To make sure you can safely take COZAAR, tell your doctor if you have any of the following:
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- congestive heart failure
- an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium in your blood)
- if you are dehydrated
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your doctor if COZAAR may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your doctor before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine
All medications may cause side effects, but usually patients have no, or minor, side effects. Common side effects of COZAAR may include:
- cold or flu symptoms (stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, fever)
- dry cough
- muscle cramps
- pain in your legs or back
- stomach pain, diarrhea
- headache, dizziness
- tired feeling
- sleep problems (insomnia)
Serious side effects may include:
- faintness/ feeling light-headed
- pain or burning when you urinate
- pale skin
- short of breath
- rapid heart rate
- trouble concentration
- chest pain
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst
- loss of appetite
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling)